Selling Yourself When You Go Networking
Let's talk about presenting yourself in an attractive, compelling way.
You see, people need to 'buy you' before they buy what you're selling. People will always buy people before they buy products and services.
If everything else is equal, people will buy from the people they like rather than people they don't like. So you've got to understand that 'selling yourself' is a powerful weapon in business.
So if you want to sell yourself and make people buy you, what can you do? Three steps:
- LIKEABILITY. This is the science of being liked. And believe it or not, there are things you can do and say to make more people like you more quickly. From smiling, asking good questions and making good introductions, to listening well, looking professional and following up as you promised, this likeability stuff is coachable!
- CREDIBILITY. This is when people don't just like you, but they value you, rate you and trust you. They believe you and what you say. They have faith in you and listen to what you say. They are interested in who you know and how you can help them.
- PROFITABILITY. This is the pay-off. This is where you reap the rewards of your relationship building. You reap what you sow. It's no good just having a network of people. It's not enough to know people and be liked by people. You want them to buy from you, invest in you, recommend you and refer you.
The networking legend Dr Ivan Misner conceived a wonderful model called VCP - Visibility - Credibility - Profitability. This explains the networking 'funnel' to some degree. But it doesn't matter how visible you are. If people don't like you, you'll never become a credible alternative to what they've already got.
So if you want to create business opportunities, think about how you take people through this three step model. It's relationship building in it purest form. If you do these things right, then...
- When they see you, they'll like you.
- When they like you, they'll trust you.
- When they trust you, they'll buy you.
- When they buy you, they'll refer you.
What are you doing today to make yourself a little more likeable?